Summer has become synonymous with exciting vacations, lazy afternoons, and warm evenings by the pool. While a more laid-back schedule can do wonders for our stress levels, it’s not always the best when it comes to the choices we make to stay fueled. Stay smart and healthy by resisting high-calorie, processed snacks, and opting instead, for seasonal foods and low-calorie snacks that will help you maintain a healthy body and mind.
1. Radishes: These little bite-size root vegetables are only 1 calorie per piece! Slice them up and add them to your salad, or eat them alone. They’re perfect for adding a little spice to your regular food routine. Try a few radishes dipped in our flavorful Zucchini Hummus.
2. Cucumbers: Cucumbers are excellent at keeping you hydrated. They are comprised mainly of water and will help you feel full for longer periods of time.
3. Celery: It’s rumored that it takes more calories to digest this crunchy vegetable than is included in the celery itself.
4. Apples: A great on-the-go snack, apples help to fight hunger and are packed with nutrition. Apples are also a great way to quickly clean your teeth after a meal. Learn more about the health benefits of apples.
5. Watermelon: Watermelon is another great fruit that quenches thirst and is guilt-free.
6. Cauliflower: A half cup of boiled cauliflower only has 14 calories. Mash it up for a fiber-rich, nutritious substitute for traditional mashed potatoes. Our Creamy Garlic Mashed Cauliflower is only 49 calories per serving.
7. Strawberries: 1 cup of strawberries has nearly 100% of your daily vitamin C. Enjoy four medium strawberries for about 16 calories. You’ll love our recipe for Skinny Mini Strawberry Cheesecake, at just 138 calories per serving.
8. Mushrooms: No matter whether you grill, sauté, or bake them, mushrooms are an incredible low calorie snack. Learn why mushrooms are superfoods here.
9. Summer Squash: Summer squash has half the amount of calories as winter squash. This means you get to eat twice as much!
10. Green Tea: Stop sipping your calories and grab some green tea. It’s a fat-fighting drink loaded with antioxidants. And the best part? It has zero calories! Try our Green Tea Mango Smoothie.
11. Green Beans: Dip them in your favorite low-fat dressing for a delicious, crunchy afternoon snack. Try a handful of green beans with our Dill Yogurt Spread.
12. Papaya: Shred fresh papaya and add it to your salad for a little sweetness without the calories.
13. Tangerines: Keep a few tangerines on your desk for a healthy, easy snack.
14. Garlic: Instead of butter and high-sodium seasoning packets, always use fresh garlic for added flavor. A small amount delivers big taste, and will cost you minimal calories. Learn more about what garlic can do for your health here.
16. Endive: These crunchy and bitter leaves are a great addition to your salads, or on their own. They pair nicely with pears and blue cheese.
17. Turnips: You can roast turnips like any other vegetable, but one of our favorite preparations is to puree them. Turnips are packed with flavor, and you won’t need a huge portion size to stay full.
18. Leeks: Swap your onions for fresh leeks and you’ll find a unique flavor with fewer calories.
19. Lettuce: Sounds pretty obvious, right? Use lettuce as a wrap instead of a tortilla, and always go for the dark green leaves for more nutrients. Try one of these delicious lettuce wrap options.
20. Mangoes: Frozen mango cubes are a great way to cool off in the hot summer months. Check out what else mangoes can do for you.
21. Bean Sprouts: These fresh, crispy sprouts go nicely in salads, soups, and Asian noodle dishes.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.