Many diet fads come and go. If you’re looking for healthy recipes for weight loss that are part of lifelong commitment to staying in shape, you’ve found the right place. The following list of 52 weight loss recipes combines low calorie ingredients with superfood powerhouses to charge up your metabolism and ramp up your weight loss goals, while satisfying you and providing valuable nutrients. You see, many nutritionists agree that the secret to weight loss is not cutting out food, but eating so much healthful food that you never have a chance to feel hungry! We agree. Fiber-filled and nutrient-rich foods are the key to this kind of eating. The recipes that follow, plus regular exercise, are sure to comprise a comprehensive weight loss plan.
Chili contains two ingredients that can help promote weight loss. Most chilis are made with hot peppers and beans. Capsaicin in hot peppers temporarily speeds up metabolism as your body attempts to cool itself. The fiber in beans keeps you full longer and slows the release of carbohydrates from the beans into the bloodstream. A slow release means your blood sugar won’t spike, giving you steady energy and keeping you satisfied. Rev up weight loss with these six chili recipes:
1. White Bean Chili This chili has an added bonus: white kidney beans, also called cannellini beans, which are packed with fiber that lowers cholesterol. White kidney bean extract has recently been touted as an effective weight loss supplement.
2. Taco Chili All the things you love about tacos in a chili!
3. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Making it in a slow cooker means easy preparation!
4. Slow Cooker Mama’s Roadhouse Chili This chili is two for two! It has both kidney beans and black beans, plus red chili flakes and chili powder!
5. Spicy Chili with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes Get the lycopene, antioxidants, and cancer-fighting properties contained in cooked, caramelized tomatoes, along with a healthy dose of chilies and beans.
6. Spicy Eggplant Chili Eggplants are very low in calories, with only about 35 calories per cup. They also are low in fat, but do contain healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Chia Seeds are often considered a superfood because they contain very high levels of omega-3 fatty acids; higher than found in salmon and flax seeds, in fact. Omega-3’s support heart and brain health. But chia seeds also perform a weight loss trick! The seeds can absorb a great deal of water, about 20 times their size, which allows them to turn into a gel-like substance. This little bit of nature’s magic not only makes the seeds expand in your stomach to feel fuller, but also keeps you hydrated during workouts. Chia seeds also contain complete protein to help you build muscle.
7. Chocolate Oatmeal with Egg Whites and Chia Seeds This is a combo of three perfect weight loss ingredients. Lean protein is found in egg whites, oats are high in fiber and keep your blood sugar stable, and, of course, chi-chi-chi-chia!
8. Gingerbread Pancakes These high-protein pancakes are also gluten-free, using chickpea powder and egg whites, and combining those great weight loss spices, cinnamon and ginger. Some chia seeds are sprinkled in, adding up to a healthy way to start the day!
9. Though not really one single recipe, we offer you 10 Cool Ways You Can Use Chia Seeds in your food and recipes.
Cinnamon, in addition to containing vitamins and minerals, has the power to increase metabolism and slow sugar absorption in the bloodstream. In fact, studies show that even as little as 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon can have positive effects on weight loss. Check out our five recipes containing cinnamon:
10. Cinnamon Whole Grain Pita Chips can be a great snack, or a side along with a carrot, sweet potato, or pumpkin soup! Full of fiber, with a touch of cinnamon sweetness, they are crunchy and good for you!
11. Slow Cooker Cinnamon and Honey Nuts Get the benefits of cinnamon with the weight loss power of nuts (read the nut category below for more details).
12. Cinnamon Rice Milk A little cinnamon makes this non-dairy milk easy to make and delicious. This is an excellent milk to use in smoothies.
13. Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Quinoa In one Brazilian study, people who ate three pears or apples per day were shown to lose three pounds in the course of 12 weeks. Apples stabilize blood sugar, a key element in weight loss. They are also full of fiber, and can reduce bad cholesterol and high blood pressure.
14. Baked Apple Chips A sprinkle of cinnamon on these crispy apple slices is a double whammy for weight loss, not to mention a delicious snack.
Turmeric is an interesting and unique spice. It’s a yellow, mild-flavored middle-eastern spice that is often the base of yellow curry powders. This isn’t just a superfood, but a superspice! Not only is it rich in antioxidants, it contains a compound called curcumin, which is a polyphynol that is thought to break down fat cells in the body. Research shows that curcumin may be helpful in preventing obesity-related chronic diseases and metabolic disorders. A recent study on mice showed a decreased amount of fat tissue when given curcumin over a 12-week period. Read on for two awesome recipes containing turmeric:
15. Healthy Tex Mex Lasagna Make an entire lasagna and you can eat it for a whole week! This tex-mex lasagna contains turmeric. It can be cooked, cut into individual sized portions, wrapped in plastic wrap, and frozen in resealable freezer bags. Just bake straight from the freezer for an easy lunch or dinner. Frozen lasagna can also be microwaved.
16. Crispy Kale and Pumpkin Croquettes A crispy sweet and savory side dish, appetizer, or snack, these will go quickly when served up to friends and family.
Nuts are a great addition to a weight loss menu plan, because they are high in protein, contain monounsaturated fats, and provide omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Studies have shown that nuts fill you up more effectively than carbohydrate-laden snacks. Add nuts to your diet with our nut recipes:
17. Farro Salad with Apples and Walnuts Farro is an excellent grain to add to your diet. The apples and walnuts are super satisfying, and walnuts are a great source of omega-3’s.
18. Quinoa Almond Joy Bars Quinoa, that complete protein in a grain, combines with almonds and the antioxidant power of dark chocolate for a sweet snack to satisfy any chocolate craving.
19. Chocolate-Cherry Almond Shake Yum! Chocolate, almonds, and cherries make the ultimate flavor trio that supports weight loss in one delicious shake.