What’s on your shopping list? If it includes lots of packaged or processed foods, it’s time for a new list—one that will nourish your body with nutrients and help support weight loss. Add these 21 outrageously healthy foods to your grocery list this week.
Many foods in the typical American diet, from sugar to sodium to chemical additives, prime the body for weight gain and chronic medical conditions. The scary part is that you don’t need to reach for a pack of snack cakes to flood the body with all that extra junk. Added sugar, salt, and more can be found in everything from salad dressings to frozen waffles to yogurt.
On our healthy foods list, you’ll find whole, healthy superfoods that support the body, whether your goal is to lose weight or feel healthier. Clean-eating foods like these offer a range of nutrients, from cancer-preventing antioxidants to body-detoxifying substances. As a bonus, many are low in calories. The only fats you’ll find are monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats, which lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Download a FREE Clean Eating Menu Planner and make these most healthy foods a regular part of your grocery trips.
1. Almonds– When it comes to the most healthy foods, we’re nuts for almonds. Making almonds a regular part of your diet may help lower the risk of dying from heart disease and help you lose weight. Pump up pasta night with Almond Pesto Pasta featured above. You’lll also love Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies. YUM!
2. Apples– Grandma was right—apples can help keep the doctor away. This fruit may help lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar, and control appetite. They’re also a smart grab-n-go snack. Try these tasty Apple Nachos Supreme.
3. Asparagus– We love asparagus because of its ability to help the body detoxify; it’s a natural diuretic and it supports healthy kidney and bladder function. Potato-Wrapped Asparagus Rolls are a fantastic choice for date night or any special night.
4. Avocado– The avocado is a rock star on the most healthy foods list, from its heart-healthy fats to its high levels of fiber, potassium, and other vitamins. Indulge in Strawberry and Avocado Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing.
5. Bananas– With good carbs, heart-loving potassium, and depression-fighting nutrients, bananas are a no-brainer for the healthy foods list. Slice them onto oatmeal, use them in baking, or enjoy them in our Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie.