Whether you regularly feel blah or struggle through serious brain fog, you know something needs to change. For some women, that means booting gluten from their diet. If you need to change how you feel, here’s a 30-day gluten detox to jumpstart your journey.
Gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye, can have a significant impact on those with Celiac Disease, a condition in which gluten inflames the small intestine’s lining. But the protein also affects those with gluten sensitivity. Those with a sensitivity don’t experience intestinal damage, but gluten does trigger uncomfortable problems, including [1, 2]:
- Digestive issues, including belly bloat, gas, constipation, or diarrhea
- Brain fog
- Joint pain
If you suspect foods with gluten are impacting your health and well-being, always speak to your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
To start a gluten detox, remove all wheat, barley, and rye foods from your diet. First, begin by going through your kitchen and pantry to eliminate foods with those ingredients.
It’s essential to read food labels, but be aware that cross-contamination in production facilities can contaminate non-gluten foods with the protein. Also watch out for sneaky foods, like sauces, gravies, and condiments, that may contain hidden sources of gluten.
When you want to start a gluten detox, it’s critical to focus on eating a menu that emphasizes whole or minimally processed foods. Eat fruits, vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats, and gluten-free grains like quinoa, millet, or amaranth.
Tips to Make Your Gluten Detox a Success
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to curb gluten food cravings.
- Eat three small meals and two gluten-free snacks daily to eliminate cravings for unhealthy snacks.
- Exercise regularly to stimulate the lymphatic system to remove toxins naturally.
- Consume proper portions of foods with healthy fat or lean protein, like eggs, avocados, or olive oil, to satisfy the appetite.
- Eat probiotic-rich foods, like Greek yogurt or soft cheese, to help the intestinal tract get back on track.
Gluten-Free Side Dishes
Transform the way you look and feel with the 8-Week Body Weight Makeover Program, which provides workouts that deliver results—in just 2 months.
 Beyond Celiac