Even if you didn’t take to math in school, crunching numbers will help you to lose weight and feel healthier. The concept behind weight loss is simple: burn more calories than you consume. This low-calorie shopping list will stock your kitchen with foods that help you consume fewer calories.
The concept behind losing weight may be simple—but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. If you’ve been yo-yo-ing for years you understand exactly how challenging the journey can be.
This low-calorie shopping list is designed to set you up for success with clean eating foods rich in nutrients and low in calories. You’ll find most of these foods in the produce department because many fruits and vegetables are naturally low in calories.
As you plan menus, plan for meals and snacks that equal at least 1,700 calories per day. Consuming too few calories puts the body into starvation mode, causing it to conserve calories, which can make you gain weight in the long run. Talk with your physician before going on a low-calorie diet.
Check out our low-calorie shopping list. We’ve listed individual foods with calorie counts. You’ll also find a delicious, clean-eating recipe for each of these low-calorie foods. Click the link to see the recipe and its nutritional information, including its calorie count.
1. Apple | 95 calories per medium apple
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
2. Arugula | 4 calories per cup
Linguine with Baby Arugula and Fresh Herbs
3. Asparagus | 27 calories per cup
Cherry, Asparagus, and Corn Salad
4. Broccoli | 31 calories per cup
12 Ways to Prepare Broccoli
5. Brussels Sprouts | 38 calories per cup
Balsamic Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
6. Cabbage | 22 calories per cup
Dijon Roasted Cabbage
7. Cauliflower | 25 calories per cup
8. Celery | 16 calories per cup
Clean-Eating Chicken Salad
9. Eggplant | 20 calories per cup
Grilled Spicy Mediterranean Eggplant with Tomato Salad
10. Grapefruit | 39 calories per half grapefruit
11. Kale | 5 calories per cup
Skinny Kale Burgers
12. Lemon | 20 calories per lemon
Lemon Chicken Skillet
13. Lettuce | 5 calories per cup
Spinach and Feta Lettuce Wrap
14. Mushrooms | 15 calories per cup
Cremini Mushroom Soup
15. Onion | 32 calories per half cup
Classic Cucumber & Tomato Salad
16. Peppers | 30 calories per half cup
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
17. Radish | 19 calories per cup
Salmon with Ginger Noodles
18. Spinach | 7 calories per cup
Strawberry and Spinach Salad
19. Tomato | 22 calories per medium tomato
Green Bean and Tomato Salad
20. Watermelon | 46 calories per cup
Watermelon Chiller with a Hint of Mint
21. Zucchini | 20 calories per cup
Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
22. Unsweetened Tea | 0 calories
Orange-Pomegranate Green Tea
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!